Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Illustration Friday - Geeky - The Pyramid of Geek


Well now, here's a topic that I was able to come up with TOO many ideas. I decided to go with my 'Pyramid of Geek'.

I have a few reasons I approached this topic this week the way I did.

First, I've been wanting to do something more graphic and less cartoonish, painterly, sketch or drawing.

Second, I wanted to stay away from drawing a geeky character (even though the horn rimmed glasses did make it into my composition).

Third, I wanted to better learn how to use the pen tool in Illustrator. As an aside, the pen tool gives me a headache every time I use it for the first 10 minutes then I get the hang of it, still it's a tough tool to get used to.

Fourth, I wanted to include all my geeky hobbies and things I have been/are interested in.


I did all the icons in Illustrator then played around in Photoshop. I feel the execution is a bit rudimentary, but the concept is sound. I got to tell you though, doing all those icons in Illustrator took me a while (still just learning).

I'm curious if most people can figure out what some of the more cryptic icons are. Click on the image above and you should get two at least. The first person that can provide me the most specific meanings for all my icons, including the top one, will get a print of the illustration signed and sent to their home for free!

6 comments:

Vhrsti said...

Good work. One of your best.

Focus_ret said...

I won't win the prize. I see gaming (the swordsman and the die), the remote operated car, the glasses. Is that a stack of CDs? Do you fly airplanes? Or is that model airplanes?

Focus_ret said...

Oh yes! And watching TV!

Loni Edwards said...

What an original idea! I love this!

Hi! I'm Wendi! said...

Here goes:

archeology (I see the eye of Horus, the pyramid and the glasses - that spells archaeologist to me)
comics
Star Trek AND Star Wars (sci fi in general?)
model airplanes (the kind you fly - I see the remote there)
watching cartoons
RPG
flying kites
photography
building models
remote-controlled cars

And you did all of those with the pen tool in Illustrator? I bow down before you. Wow! I'm still learning how to make basic shapes and group and ungroup them. Illustrator is the most non-intuitive software I've ever tried to use.

Great job and a great idea! I love that texture behind the icons too.

Nash Galanis said...

Wendi,

That's pretty good. You win the prize. I'll track you down and see if you really want it.

Here's what I was going for.

Eye of Osiris/Horus whatever - Conspiracy Theories
Comics (duh)
Sci Fi (easy)
RC Airplanes
Watching Cartoons
Wargaming (not RPG, different, slightly less geeky but not by much)
Kite Flying (nice one!)
Photography (easy)
Building Models (nice one!)
RC Cars (nice!)