Sunday, July 22, 2007

My First Pastel - or - I feel like a first grader.


OK, so here's my first pastel. Well actually it's my second. Technically maybe my third. My first was a portrait that I never completed. My second one was so horrible I ripped it to shreds. With two failures I put my pastels away and cried. Well, I didn't cry, but I was a little disheartened. After months of therapy (Actually, I've been busy doing other things like this blog, that I doubt anyone reads other than the Illustration Friday people, but they only look at my weekly entry) I finally got over my first two and I figured I better give it another go. So this my third pastel, although not all that great is somewhat bearable. I did learn a few things while doing this. Here's what I've learned;

First: It's a lot harder than it looks to do a good pastel painting/drawing. I have a couple of books on how to draw/paint using pastels, and boy do they make it look easy.


Second: Don't use the wire side of the canson paper. It's painful to use and you get this annoying screen pattern throughout the drawing/painting. (edit - I found some examples online where this looks ok, I guess I'll try it again)


Third: Pastels and computer mice don't mix. Don't touch anything until you wash your hands. My mouse now has some permanent orange/grey pigment on it.


Anyways, let me know what you think. I'm prepared for the worst.

No comments: