Thursday, August 2, 2007

Humbling Post - first all Photoshop drawing (not complete)



Tonight I tried to do something completely within Photoshop. All I have to say is WOW, it's a lot tougher than it looks. Getting the idea out of your head and into Photoshop is not easy. Right now this thing just looks so hokey and amatureish. Well I guess you got to start somewhere.

I didn't really have a plan, I just was doodling and deling layers when something didn't come out right. Not to say that this did, but it at least started forming into something. I think I have to re-configure my workspace if I want to do 100% digital drawings. I also think I should move off of my laptop and onto a real PC with a nice big screen.

I've been reading some hardcore Photoshop magazines from the UK, the last one I got was Imagine FX magazine. This magazine is for people that want to get into concept art for videogames, movies and TV. Most of the art is sci-fi fantasy stuff. Similar to 'airbrush art' of old. Not that I like all of that stuff, but some of it is really good. Also from a realistic/technical standpoint it's quite astounding. The perspectives, realisim, anatomy and lighting is phenominal.

I do get the feeling though that the guys that are into this might poo-poo the more abstract or figurative work. Similarily all the conventional artists poo-poo the digital art.

Check it out at http://www.imaginefx.com/.

By the way, did I mention I'm still trying to figure out what/how I want to make art? I know I've deviated from my original concept of daily charcoal drawings and I've added a lot of digital work. Oh well, it's not like I have hordes of people are reading this blog daily. As a side thought I wonder how long I'm going to keep this up. My little expeiment today in Photoshop has disheartened me a little. Plus my other hobbies are calling me. (see HERE )

At any rate, if anyone is reading this let me know what you think of my stuff.

1 comment:

Liz Wong said...

Don't get discouraged. Drawing in Photoshop is really hard. I personally can't do it. Just keep drawing and experimenting; it takes a long time, and a lot of practice, but eventually you'll find a style and way of working that you like.